Started Jan 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
What is the Nikon 1's mid term position
Jan 24, 2012

As of now the V1 is an impressive camera because it's electronics are very advanced and makes this camera quite different from others - so it is easier to set aside the small sensor because it has some other really good 'buy me' features.

However, since the technology does not stand still, it might be the case that within the next 18 months most competitors will have developed similar technology (especially ultra fast AF) and in that worldsome people might be choosing other models.

What causes me to pose the question is the number of posters who have declaired that Nikon have got their marketing wrong and do not understand the target market. I would think it more likely, having consideration for the above, that Nikon have absolutely got the the market right and that their important customer base are those buyers who will be buying into the system in 18 months time - when it sits side by side with all these other enthusiast models that will be out there.

The Nikon 1 looks like a very long term project / system, so the market base must be mapped against the expectation of the future customer base, rather than the unsustainable short term position.

I have a D5100 and a P7100 and would like a V1 and I tend think that the crossover with my current cams (plus my financial position) would mean I would have to sell one or both my cameras to justify the purchase - but I also think I need to see the next model of both my current cams, which should also get the Expeed 3 processor to see what best suits me, as an enhance P7100 might be better. I am on the fence and reading a lot of posts while I try and decide whether the V1 is the best medium term prospect for me.

Your thoughts.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow