Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,692Gear list
Like?
Re: Question: Do you turn on "lens distortion correction"
In reply to waynes, Jan 24, 2012

waynes wrote:

on your K5?

When I do so, the writing speed is very low. Much slower than when the function is turned off.

Can some one share the experience of using a class 10 SD card? Would it improve the writing speed? I am using a class 4 right now.

I'd say the in-camera correction is useful for the less expensive ( less well corrected ) kit lenses when shooting casual shots you won't want to post process. And, cough, ahem, and apologies in advance, "spouse mode" shooting where the SD card will end up at CVS' photo kiosk or shots posted on FaceBook. Both corrections are pretty much unnecessary with better Pentax lenses which can be very well corrected already, and for really special shots, you'll want to hand process them anyway.

A faster card is always better, but the in-camera correction(s) takes a second or two. Writing RAW to a slow card takes as much time. IMO the in camera corrections do a good job, and if you don't intend to shoot RAW, can be a good way to avoid post processing casual shots. Both corrections work well. Its just slow.

If you normally post process, get a high speed 16GB card, shoot RAW and never look back.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow