Started Jan 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garyb1985
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
PICS STOLEN BY NEWSPAPER! I need advice
Jan 24, 2012

So I found out today that some of my pictures have been stolen by the UK Sunday paper 'The People' (for those international folk it is easily one of the top 5 selling papers, if not the best selling). I'll just address the background here...

I shot a Croatian Music Festival last year- Hideout, whilst I was there I met the lady who was writing a travel article for said newspaper. I was quite excited at the time about potentially being printed in the National Press (for payment of course).

Following the festival it all went quiet and I thought the opportunity had gone, however a couple of weeks ago the writer got in touch to say they were going to print her article and could I contact the features editor at the paper about pictures. BINGO! I thought. However following a brief email exchange I was informed they had no budget for the travel section (?!?!?) and would have to acquire a picture for the article elsewhere- I assumed this would be from their own stock library or similar.

The article has since been published, both in print and on their website, and they have simply taken pictures from the Facebook page for the festival (all of which are annotated with Copyright Gary Brown 2011) - I am so angry at the lack of respect shown here.

So I need some advice from you helpful folk. I am sure some of you have been in this situation, what would be the best course of action now? Obviously they can just remove the pictures from the web if I complain but if they have already printed them- should I threaten to sue or what?!?

With all due respect, I'd only like advice from people who have experience of this situation and maybe what they did and the outcome

Thanks in advance!
--
Light is Light, its what you do with it that counts

http://www.gbmultimedia.co.uk

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow