S100 - Love the camera, but ~$400 worth?

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Stefan Stuart Fletcher
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: S100 - Love the camera, but ~$400 worth?
In reply to tbns, Jan 24, 2012

I understand your yearning for a future-proof camera. It isn't going to happen, nor are you going to get DSLR IQ from anything with a small sensor. Having owned an ILC (Oly Pen2), I can tell you that IQ is acceptable, but at double the price of a compact, plus:

1. they're just as bulky as DSLRs with their lenses

2. they're just as slow and unreliable as compacts in low light and difficult AF situations

3. the interchangeable lens promise is appealing, but in practice too expensive for the resulting IQ from the body.

I know they've made some progress in the last 18 months, but I still find ILCs a hard sell.

Still, I don't think an iPhone 5/6/7 is going to get high-end compact owners worried for a while yet; the lens and sensor technology aren't there and won't be for a long while.

Have you considered the LX5 or the Lytro?

My disclaimer: I own an S100 and am aware of its limitations. I too think it's overpriced. I also own a 5DII and a 7D, which are my reference points for IQ / handling and I don't do any video.

Sorry, not much help, really, but what you're looking for really doesn't exist, IMO.

Stefan Stuart Fletcher's gear list:Stefan Stuart Fletcher's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow