J1 to Macau - Best travel camera at night

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve Koon
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: J1 to Macau - Best travel camera at night
In reply to acrockett149, Jan 24, 2012

Overall, I am completely satisfied when considering size, speed, metering, color, and high-iso. Motion Snap shot when used creatively can give you something a photo cannot, see my other post on Motion Snapshot.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1058&thread=40400233

I try to avoid to get hung up in certain functions not perfectly implemented, like auto-iso with shutter speed too slow, forced review of photos, and so on. I just understand the behaviors of the camera and adjust myself. All of these can be solved by simple change of shooting habits. Like using the Shutter Priority model for moving objects. I think this is also a great way to improve my photographic skills.

There a learning curve to the camera, once you learned, I think it beats entry level DSLR. I use FT1 with 18-200mm getting some amazing results.

The only thing is you need a second battery when traveling for full day shooting.

Minor points: the auto area focusing may not focus on the right point in complex lighting indoor shoots. Use single-point instead. The flash is too strong for my taste on people, dial down to -1 or -2 will do.

I do not have the 30-110mm lens. I will get that soon and expect to get even better results.

My recommendation: get the camera and start shooting. I was taking these pictures with my wife on my side hurrying me. Lucky this camera is fast. If I have more time to compose on my own, will be even better.

The review of camera should be in the photos. I am completely satisfied with the photos. Others are complaining, I am enjoying.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow