Sony Nex-5N for photographing my toddler

Started Jan 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
smallrewards
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: Sony Nex-5N for photographing my toddler
In reply to Texas Parrothead, Jan 23, 2012

That is the main reason I bought mine as well. I can do well with the kit lens, but the addition of a fast manual focus lens has really opened up significant capabilities. I think the 18-55 and the 50mm 1.8 will get the job done exceedingly well if you do not want to go in for old manual lenses.

Anyway, it is a fantastic camera for the job, no question, but try your best to keep it under 1600 (I mention this as I differ in my opinion from the above poster) after shooting a lot and doing christmas, I found that 1600 is just too soft. When I edit raw files I like to adjust the noise reduction at 1600, because the hair and skin smooths out so much that it makes the pictures look a little out of focus. It still makes a good picture, but keeping it 800 and below is MUCH preferable.

For your info, I can freeze my 19month old running inside at night with a few lights on at iso 200 (or 400-650 if going really fast), with a f1.4 or f2.0...but with the kit lens I have to boost it to 1600 and still miss fast action due to blur, as zooming in is often necessary, changing from 3.5 to 5.6...making it somewhat problematic. In fact, with the kit lens I was resulting to using flash much of the time with action shots indoors at night.

If you already have any old fast manual lenses, you have nothing to worry about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow