Fujifilm X-S1 Snow Owls

Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Silent Oracle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913
Like?
Re: You've said this a thousand times Billy....
In reply to Billx08, Jan 23, 2012

Billx08 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

. . .

I maybe have had the best HS10 with the sharpest lens but the thing is, closer means more pixels especially for a camera with pinhead sensor so I will stand on my claim that the best result is to use full-zoom whenever... wherever unless the bird will go out-of-frame.

I am sure you have seen too some of my bird shots so I won't post em here again just to prove my point.

You missed the obvious point in order to launch yet another personal attack. Any photographer should be aware without thinking very hard that if you can fill the frame with a subject, the image quality will be high. When most photographers, including the OP with his snow owl photos use the maximum focal length, the subject rarely fills the frame. It usually occupies only a small fraction of the frame and this is why shooting the HS10 at 720mm usually results in poor image quality. All else being equal, the image quality of the lens is not at its best at 720mm, and because of the increased problems created by atmospheric disturbance and high humidity at great distances alone, you'd probably get better IQ with 300mm shots than with 720mm shots even if both filled the frame to the same degree. So the rule should be to get as close as possible to the subject and then choose the appropriate focal length, not to use 720mm and see what can be shot with that focal length. From what I recall of your 720mm photos, they weren't shot at great distances.

This is exactly the method that I follow for birding. Always works to produce the sharpest images IMHO. Got to fill the frame for best results; when the bird is small (songbirds generally) the IQ is just not going to be there unless frame is filled IMHO. This means...where birding is involved...a lot of patience/waiting and creeping up to get the shot unless the bird is oblivious and invites me to high tea, particularly important with digicams.
--
Jada

http://silentoracle.weebly.com/blog.html

My YouTube
http://youtu.be/MxyLeQxMcrQ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Re:New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow