Started Jan 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Don't like latest Smugmug change and thinking of Zenfolio
Jan 23, 2012

I have used Smugmug as my photo sharing site for many years and have seen them grow without sacrificing their outstanding customer service. If I left them I would almost feel like someone going through a divorce - expecting something better but still with many regrets (not ever being divorced I am guessing that is what I would go through!).

Two reasons are making me think of changing. The first reason is their new pricing system for the Pro account. It seems like the only way to set prices is using a percentage markup and I really do not like this over the old way of doing things. From looking at their tutorial it seems like I should be able to just set my retail price but after an inquiry with smugmug and a lot of time playing with gallery it seems like a percent markup is only way I can set prices. So that is a huge negative for me as I may want different margins in the same gallery for different size prints.

What has really made me think about Zenfolio is a statement someone made during a reason meeting of photographers I attended. He said someone can download all the photos of a gallery in a pretty easy procedure with Zenfolio. I know a few years back there were some recommended programs that could download a gallery of photos but for some reasons I kept getting error messages so it seemed to me the only way I could get a gallery downloaded back to my computer or the computer of a customer was to copy and paste individual photos.

If there is an easy and effective method to download a gallery to a customers computer with Zenfolio that is a huge plus for many.

I am curious about the opinions of those who have given both hosting site a good look. I really do not want to change but those are two pretty important factors for me.

Gary
--
http://www.garystepicphotography.com

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow