ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vidago
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
I lost my head and bought the Nex-5N...
Jan 23, 2012

Sorry for my English,

I started taking pictures of some years back with a Nikon D70 and a 50mm 1.8, it was my only camera for a long time, I could not buy another, maybe for this reason I developed a preference for single focal lenses especially older lenses.

With the excuse of being so cheap I acquired over the years several legacy lenses, When Olympus launched the E-PL1 seemed to me the ideal camera to give new life to these lenses, my financial situation had improved considerably and I decided to buy it, unfortunately though I liked the results produced by the camera, I never could adapt to its ergonomics (too small for my hands and the buttons in positions of difficult access).

Last year I had the opportunity to buy a Samsung NX10 for a fabulous price, (I was always afraid to opt for Sony due to the very small size of the cameras) in fact with the NX10 the ergonomics is almost perfect and the results are very good up to ISO800, the problem is that only makes a 2x zoom to assist manual focus, as a result many of the lenses that I could use on the E-PL1 become impossible to focus on the NX10.

Last week I bought the Nex-5N, the camera is very small, but the ergonomics are not as bad as I thought, and the secret is the touch-screen, the ability to select the focus point and zoom with one touch on the screen makes all the difference with legacy lens.

Now I can control the aperture on the lens, the shutter speed on the wheel, letting the camera control the iso and with one touch, zoom and focus with the help of focus-peking.

To complete I can configure the buttons to get quick access to frequently used functions, ISO, WB, D-range, Metring mode, RAW / jpg, Exposure compensation, brilliant!

I never thought I come to tell this from a Sony product, I always had a prejudice against this brand, but from all the cameras that I had until today, this is the one that works best with legacy lenses

Is it perfect? No. It could be slightly larger to improve comfort and could have IBIS (although the Hand-held Twilight mode helps a lot) .

I leave here the first test with some of the Yashica lenses that were very difficult to focus on the NX10 (all all photos were taken in jpg, with only minor adjustments to levels).

Yashica ML 28mm at 2.8

100% crop

closed at f:8

100% crop

Yashica ML 35mm at f:8

100% crop

Yashica ML100-300mm at 300mm f:11 (hand-hold ;))

100% crop

100% crop

Vidago's gear list:Vidago's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Nikon D70 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow