Are we about to see the death of the DSLR as we know it?

Started Jan 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
Are we about to see the death of the DSLR as we know it?
Jan 23, 2012

I ask this question because I see technology going in a completely different direction.

With mirror-less cameras selling well. The introduction of new compacts with advanced sensors like the Fuji X-Pro1, and the Oly OM-D without mirrors and prisims can DSLR cameras be around in 4 or 5 more years? (As we know them)

I feel with video being implemented in today's DSLR's, Sony's efforts with pelical mirrors, seriously good EVF's etc. Is the current DSLR going to be able to keep up with technology?

Frankly, when digital cameras came out years ago, I was a little surprised they maintained the same form factor as compact and SLR film cameras. They had the opportunity to redesign from the ground up, but instead we were given a familiar form factor. In hind site, that may not have been the best decision.

I am reaching the point in my life that I truly do not want to lug around all of the gear any more. I want the performance of a D800 with my 14-24, 24-70, 70-180 and 70-300 lenses in a compact format. This is the first time in my life that I have felt that the SLR may go the route of the DoDo bird in the near future. I started feeling this way when I saw the Fuji X-Pro1 and the Nex 7 by Sony. I realize they can not perform as well as big DSLR's but the performance gap is closing very quickly.

When I see reviews of Apple iPhone cameras compared to Nikon D7000 I am shocked at how good the results are. (And I own a D7000)

Who feels as I do, or am I just being silly?

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman

Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.

I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a Dell M1330 13" laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's!

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow