E-P3 firmware updates failed :(

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Biggstr
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Lessons from Firmware Updates Mixed Bodies/Lenses
In reply to Erbsensuppe, Jan 23, 2012

You have to hit the "OK" button on the camera to start the process and have the software recognize the camera. I've made this mistake a number of times when updating firmware both on my two Olympus P2 bodies, my PL3, and a mix of Olympus and Panasonic lenses.

I've had no problems with updating firmware with mixed bodies/lenses; that is, Panasonic lenses on one of my P2 or PL3 camera bodies. I did "brick" the update on my Panasonic 45-175mm Power Zoom mounted on a P2 and had to send the lens in for repair (took a month and Panasonic sent me a new lens) ... but it was my fault for starting the process with a battery at probably 50% power. The camera died before the process was complete.

Three lessons I've learned from multiple firmware updates on Olympus cameras and mixed 43 lenses: (1) ALWAYS, ALWAYS start with a fresh battery; (2) make sure you follow the instructions in detail, including hitting the "OK" button to start the process; (3) ignore the comment in the instructions that it may take up to 2 minutes for a firmware update to complete ... the successful update for the replaced Panasonic 45-175mm lens mounted on a P2 took about four to five minutes with a screaming hot Verizon FIOS connection (you might think there is something wrong due to the long delay but just be patient).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow