Never had my work critiqued! Please help!!!

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve Throndson
Contributing MemberPosts: 898
Like?
Re: Never had my work critiqued! Please help!!!
In reply to EricRard, Jan 22, 2012

Eric,

Thank you for having a look at my gallery, and for the encouraging words. It's a hodge-podge of challenge entries for the most part - I should tidy it up someday.

Regarding your photography: Only you can decide which direction to go with it. If I had to choose one section from your website that I thought had the best photos, I'd say the music/band one. But that may be because the stage lighting gives those photos more impact, or that I personally like that subject matter. So that opinion's not really useful to you.

Years ago, I read an essay on Photography - I think by Bill Brandt. All I remember from it was one golden piece of advice. Looking back on his career, he said you won't do your best work until you know what it is that fascinates you . (paraphrased)

And on that same theme, Jack Kerouac, giving advice to novice writers wondering what they should write about, said: "Write only what kicks you and keeps you overtime awake from sheer mad joy". (he was a beatnik - he talked funny)

From your website, I'd say you can take adequate photos of many types. But which ones give you a glimmer of the 'sheer mad joy'?

. . . . Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow