Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
24mm is, well, really too wide . . .
Jan 22, 2012

I see a lot of posts on 15mm and (ultra) wide angle lenses, but what do you shoot with such wide angles, other than landscapes? I find the 24mm already too wide for everyday use. I have the 16mm, and the 12mm and 10mm adapters, but hardly use them to photograph people.

Gf will kill me but I noticed these two images and thought that they were very illustrative as to why I like 35mm for casual portrait/people shots and not 24mm.

Below are not posed shots, just random snapshots at social settings, typically shot from across the table or so. (For posed portraits, I'd use a 50mm or longer).

First image was shot with Zeiss 35mm, second one with Zeiss 24mm, then cropped.

Zeiss35mm (manual focus)

Zeiss24mm (auto focus)

Both shots were shot from across the table with flash on. As you can see in the picture below, the extra FOV of the 24mm 'shrinks' all faces, meaning that cropping is a must do, but IQ goes down.

If you want to recover, by filling the frame, the faces get distorted. See below.

The second image, in its uncropped view:

When you get too close with the 24mm
Zeiss24mm view

If you get further back with the 35mm, it works fine.
The girl is standing behind the table, I am sitting down
Again, with Zeiss35mm

The rest of the group is standing very close to us. I can almost touch the guy at the right.
16mm view

Same shot with the 12mm adapter added.
12mm view

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow