Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bpjod
Contributing MemberPosts: 573Gear list
Like?
X10: Human Orbs
Jan 22, 2012

I purchased the X10; made sure I had a good return policy (15 days, still looks new) and put it through its paces. First thing I tried was to create orbs. I tried hard (city at night, shooting directly into indoor lights, specular reflections, etc.) and managed to get a few but nothing too objectionable. Still all the passion on the forums here had me a bit scared.

Anyways I'd decided that I could live with the orbs I was seeing as I'd know ahead of time about the possibility and could easily dial in a bit of underexposure to deal with them (given the nice Exp. Comp. wheel).

I set about trying to figure out all the DR, EXR, ISO, size M/L etc. settings and just about blew my mind. Really does my P&S need to be more complex than my SLR? I had eventually decided to stick with DR100 & size L for most shooting and DR400/ISO400/size M (set on C1) for expanded DR. Fine.

One more complaint is that in Manual exposure, the screen and live histogram don't reflect the exposure you're getting when you take the picture. Incredibly dumb! How the heck am I supposed to manually expose if I can't rely on the live histogram? If all I've got to go on is the little exposure meter, then I might as well shoot in Aperture Priority and dial in Exp. Comp. This one flaw had me almost bring back the camera.

Then on my final day of my trial period, after I made up my mind to keep the camera in spite of its flaws I took the camera to church to play with while manning the sound board. My kids participate in a lot of plays in church and I wanted to see how the camera would handle it. Set the camera to size L, DR 100, Auto 800 ISO and maximum aperture. Took a few photos and everything seemed to be reasonable until I saw the following picture:

JPG straight from camera resized:

The most detail I could recover in ACR from the RAW:

When I saw the two humans lit by the incoming light from the window turned into orbs I decided that this was a completely unexpected and unacceptable surprise. I was prepared to live with a few orbs from light sources (such as seen on the piano light) and specular highlights. However these orbs orbs are totally unacceptable to me as they were totally unpredictable and of human subjects. No one expects a human to look like an orb! Back went the camera.

I'm very disappointed because in all other respects, this is an awesome camera. I'm looking forward to see if this problem can be fixed in firmware, but I'm doubtful, which is why the camera went back. I can always pick up a new one next month if their software engineers pull of an amazing feat.

bpjod's gear list:bpjod's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III +13 more
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow