Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,482Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Nikon "Execs" said that ?
In reply to smallcams, Jan 22, 2012

smallcams wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

Actually we were told specifically by several senior Nikon execs that the Nikon 1 system is 'not designed for the enthusiast market' (and, in as many words, that neither camera was aimed at the typical dpreview visitor).

The fact that the Nikon execs specifically stated the camera is not designed for the enthusiast market is a very odd statement and makes me somewhat suspicious that the marketers got their hooks into the project and weaved their own narrative around the camera post hoc.

"Several senior Nikon execs" ? I'm always suspicious when I hear talk like this.

Here's Rob Galbraith with a name: "During September's unveiling of the J1 and V1 in New York, Nikon USA senior technical manager Steve Heiner billed the system as being "designed for the ultimate balance of speed, portability and image quality."

Your quote illustrates very mixed messages coming out of Nikon and confirms my suspicions that a camera designed for the "ultimate balance of speed, portability and IQ" is a camera designed precisely for enthusiasts and not for novices.

Some of the most fun being had with the 1 right now is by 400, 500 and 600mm owners hooking up their lenses to the 1 and posting their results. On the ground, the facts about who uses this camera are very different to the official line and so the camera needs to be seen in that light by people considering buying it.
--
S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CYANew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
C*pNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow