ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
forbaz
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?
x100 samples and thoughts from a 5d2 user
Jan 22, 2012

Hi guys,

I got an x100 just before Christmas last year and have just started to get my head around the little thing.

My general camera is a 5d2 with a reasonable selection of lenses (see my profile if you want more details). I have done a few weddings and other paid work, and was happy persisting with lugging the camera and lenses with me to things (generally a small bag with a couple of primes and a 70-200mm), and overseas etc etc. It does tend to be a pain lugging this around, but I wasn't happy with anything less than as good IQ as I could get. I wasn't interested in point and shoots, ant not in a 4/3 or other interchangeable system. Consequently my camera wasn't always with me and shots that I would see when I was cameraless would go begging.....

So enter the x100. From what I could see the IQ was good (from the reviews), the size was right, the look was good (not that that is a big selection point, but if you're carrying it around it doesn't hurt right...) and most importantly for me it has a large enough sensor, good high ISO (from the reviews) and an effective 35mm focal length - which is my favorite working range on my 5d2. So it was a no brainer.

I've been shooting in either Av mode or occasionally Tv mode. Set the Auto ISO upper limit to 3200 and central focal point fixed for auto, JPG only and tweaking off the exposure comp. I've been carrying it with me to work in the city (Melbourne) and shooting what I see. I have to say i'm very impressed, and it is doing exactly what i wanted it to do. The shallow DOF is great, IQ is great, discreet-ness is great (which is good if you use it for street photog - what I was after as I don't generally use the 5d2 for this). As an aside people have been asking if it is a film camera and are surprised when I show them the images, more than once i've been asked if it is a leica - funny for a $1k camera.

I havn't played much with the film simulation modes, but is a nice feature I think, and the colours straight of of camera seem good on the JPGs.

An extra bonus is the onboard flash which is a feature missing from the recently announced xpro camera. I think it is a good thing to have built into a camera of this size.

If you are interested in how I usually shoot have a look at my flickr sets.

Anyway enough rambling....time for some pics....

I've converted to B&W using silver efex pro straight from the JPG, havn't mucked around with the B&W in camera.

C&C welcome

PIC 1

PIC2

PIC3

PIC4

PIC5

PIC6

PIC7

Cheers, Forbaz
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markforbes/sets/

forbaz's gear list:forbaz's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow