Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThomasH_always
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
V1/J1 test at dPreview, a remark
Jan 21, 2012

Of course in a long writeup like these at dPreview it is difficult to satisfy everyone. Clearly we find these reports valuable, because we return to the site and we are influenced by its presentation and opinions.

However, one aspect seem to be of a recurring annoyance: The testers seem to be more tech-geeks than photographers. Compare this report to the V1 writeup made by Rob Galbraith, a working sports and press photographer.

The igniting, provoking statement in dPreview test for my article here was their "Cons complaint":

-- hide signature --

No 'filter effects' or equivalent.

Wow, really? That is a "cons argument"?

I am for once an ardent opponent of these nonsensical "filter effects" or image processing build into the cameras. Waste of time, waste of resources. Your "filter effect" is in your processing software, such as Lightroom or Photoshop, or any equivalent you might be using. What possible value may have some completely arbitrary "filter effect" programmed by someone in an cubicle, because boss said so, and later maybe modified and bend to a result of some stuff meeting!!

I think that such functionality is the pestilence of the present camera samo-samo offering, and I am glad that Nikon attempts here to streamline the interface, and to be different. I might disagree with some decisions, but their heart is on the right place.

We cannot criticize camera makers for the excessive flood of buttons and functions in menus, and than criticize... for the opposite! Only Leica managed to resist the temptation of flooding user with menu options and in-camera image processing, and I salute them for just that.

ThomasH_always's gear list:ThomasH_always's gear list
Leica V-Lux 3 Canon EOS 6D
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
FT1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow