S100 - Love the camera, but ~$400 worth?

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tbns
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
S100 - Love the camera, but ~$400 worth?
Jan 21, 2012

Hello all,

Just purchased a S100 as a primary camera for vacation/everything photos. I really wanted a camera with excellent image quality, but still to be portable enough that I won't feel hesitant to take it on trips. Given the future of higher resolution displays for everything ranging from tablets, computer monitors, to TVs, I want my photos to look great for years to come.

I'm not a photo expert by any means whatsoever. Of the photos I've taken, mostly indoors, I've found the image quality to be pretty good. Not mind-blowing, but that could be because of my photography skills. There are still some images that I find somewhat blurry, even though I swear I'm holding the camera still. Other photos are crisp/clear, and are quite impressive. But I'm not sure how they compare to, say, a $230 point and shoot.

I'm debating on returning the S100 and trying out some mirrorless cameras if they fit my size criteria (such as the E-PM1, Sony NEX C3, etc.) for a week or so to see if the image quality is any better than the S100. Also thought about giving the XZ-1 a shot. Do you think I'd see significantly better quality from those? Keep in mind, I would be in auto mode 99.9% of the time. I'd like to be able to take close-ups and landscape/night shots using a single lens.

I really just want a future-proof camera. Given the direction cell-phones are heading, I don't want my photos to be trumped by an iPhone 5 in a year, making me feel the $430 didn't last long.

On the size and handling front, I absolutely LOVE the S100. Small enough to throw in my shirt or pants pocket, I'm sure I'll take it everywhere. The pop-up flash gets me off guard sometimes, since I usually have my finger in that location. Other than that, on the handling front this camera is great.

Not sure what advice I'm looking for. The store I purchased from has a good return policy, so I'm thinking about returning this and trying either 1) a cheaper P&S, or 2) a mirrorless camera in a similar price vein, like a Lumix G3, Sony NEX C3, E-PM1, to see if those pictures really rock my world.

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow