Really unable to pick up a decision between S100 or FZ150: opinions?

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jojoman
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Really unable to pick up a decision between S100 or FZ150: opinions?
Jan 21, 2012

Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my really old compact camera (a Nikon Coolpix L6 I had as a gift some years ago and didn't use too much, because I was really unsatisfied about its focus), and, reading here and there and trying to understand the most important aspects one should concentrate on (I'm not a pro or an hobbyist), I finally reduced the list to only two models: the Panasonic FZ150 on one side, and the Canon S100 on the other.

The thing is that I'm unable to pick one of them, though. If I'm not wrong, the FZ150 has a smaller sensor, a sensible better zoom and can record movies at a major frame rate, while the S100 should be able to shoot some better images, especially in low-light situations, has HDR and, of course, smaller dimensions.

Now, I know that I could also extend my vision to some mirrorless, but this is something I'm excluding because: a) should I go for interchangeable lenses, I'd buy a DSLR; b) I think that the mirrorless are far too big (with a lens on) for what I need right now (the FZ150 is the maximum size I consider acceptable, at the moment). I'd wait for G1X, but it'll be out of my budget, even in months, so that's not a choice, alas; G12, on the other hand, has only 720p movies and a CCD sensor, and it seems to me (though I can well be wrong) like something "old" to spend "new" money at the moment.

So, that's how I arrived to the short list between the one that it seems to me the best of the bridge cameras (FZ150) and the one that it seems to me the best of the compact cameras (S100).

My exigences are to use something that can last for quite some time, while I learn shooting and dedicate some time to photos, and, above all, to use a nice all-around product that can let me record movies and shoot really nice images to share by web or, in other occasions, to print on an A4 paper (A3 maybe, should the shoot be rather good).

So, which one would you pick? Any opinion to share that can help me to choose between the two? Thanks, of course, and sorry if I said something wrong or silly above.

jojoman's gear list:jojoman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon Coolpix L6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow