Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Patrick Dodds
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
X100: Some Interim Conclusions
Jan 21, 2012

Before it is no longer talked about, overtaken by new releases, here are a few of my thoughts on the X100 - YMMV:

1. There is always the temptation to fiddle because there are so many settings: one thinks that, well, that shot is OK but if I had only done this that or the other the picture would have been better. One thinks to the detriment of just shooting.

2. I still don’t like the feel of it between thumb and fingers – grip is lacking.

3. It is stealthy as all hell.

4. Must. Stop. Comparing. Output. To. D700.

5. Battery life is a little poor, not appalling, though it is made worse by the almost complete absence of shots between “warning – low battery” and “oops, no power”.

6. Sometimes, you can pull one out of the bag that is a bit (!) “wow” and this means that continuing to learn how to operate it is worthwhile.

7. I’m getting used to the 35mm field of view although I still find combining elements of a scene into a story / cohesive picture difficult at this focal length. Longer focal lengths simplify things in this regard, though mostly at the expense of ambiguity, a desirable attribute in nearly all photographs.

8. I haven’t yet figured out a way of satisfactorily using it for street photography but then I need to improve my confidence in this area more generally in any case.

9. Focusing is, despite what the fanbois say, sometimes an issue.

10. High ISO is a delight to use.

11. Despite point 4, above, there is a surprising amount of latitude and “give” in the JPEGs.

12. I haven’t yet found good software for processing RAW shots.

If anyone is interested in seeing how the above relates to the pictures I produce, I've some shots from the X100 here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athiestquaker/sets/72157628950698915/

-- hide signature --

Patrick Dodds

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow