LeonXTR
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Had the same dilema
In reply to Sphen, Jan 21, 2012

Pros:

• betting image quality on the MkI, especially at 2.8 which I'd make use of

• better make (durability) on the MkI

• can always re-sell it for essentially the same price I bought it for (MkI)

Cons

• used, no warranty on the Mk II, 3 year warranty on a new sigma

• IS on the mark I not as good as the OS on the sigma, I'd almost always be shooting hand held.

• blatant beige colour (personal con for me) on the MkI, I like shooting incognito and those white lenses really stick out!

You pretty much got those right.But you forgot to mention that Sigma lenses have frequently shown back/front focus issues and compatibility with newer camera models is not always guaranteed.See the 400 f/5,6 APO issue were you can't work it at any other app than 5,6 or the 70-300 APO issue were you cant use it at all.I decided to not go to the Sigma side as log as there is an equal proposal from the Canon side.

Anyway,i considered the fact that 70-200L non-IS has better quality,particularly @ 200mm 2,8 so i decided to ditch the IS Mark 1.My 5DII can go pretty high on ISO so shutter speeds are usually high enough.

Paid €900 for it and the way i see it,it doesn't worth it paying nearly double for IS.For those extra money i can get another lens.

-- hide signature --

The manual is there to be read,not for toilet paper.

LeonXTR's gear list:LeonXTR's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 2x II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow