Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jmbass
Regular MemberPosts: 368
Like?
Keep Nikon 35mm 1.8G?
Jan 21, 2012

I've had a Nikon 35mm 1.8G for about a year but I have rarely used it and I'm not even sure exactly what use I will get out of it. (I'm fully willing to admit that I'm missing a virtue of this lens and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.)

I know that a lot of people recommend the 35mm 1.8 for taking quick indoor shots of their active children but my son is grown, my animals are old and slow, and I rarely take photo's indoors. I also know that a lot of people use it for it's ability to create an extremely shallow DOF but my photo's are usually landscapes, buildings, etc.

I have a Tamron 90mm 2.8 for portraits and macro work. I have a Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 and Tamron 18-270mm 3.5-6.3 PZD as my walk-around lenses. I have a Tokina 12-24 for wide-angle shots.

I know that the 35mm is probably sharper at 35mm (at less than wide open) than my 17-50 and 18-270 but I'm not sure how I will use that sharpness.

I know I'm rambling but I'd appreciate any thoughts and recommendations you might have. Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow