Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jon Rty
Senior MemberPosts: 3,838
Like?
Re: Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700
In reply to Nadia373, Jan 20, 2012

As others have pointed out, focusing wasn't really your problem. The sample you showed was focused fine. The most important thing is as you've already now heard is to up the shutter speed. The way I shoot action is to have my camera on Aperture priority, and auto-ISO on. Then, I set the auto-ISO minimum shutter speed to what the action requires. Apparently that's 1/500 for sports. You can then adjust your aperture freely, and the camera makes sure to keep the shutter-speeds up and the frames well exposed. Looking at your sample you'll have no trouble hitting 1/500 even at low ISO values, as long as you open up your lens.

Nadia373 wrote:

Wow, did I mess up at my Nephew's hockey game. I totally don't understand how to focus during a hockey game. Most of the pictures were blurred, with a few sharp players in the middle of blurred. The lighting and colors were great and no grain. At the game I switched between single to continous focus and all the pictures were bad, it did not matter. I used dynamic auto area AF and 51 points; I read that I should use less focus points. My camera is set on AF-S for focus priority and AF-C release and focus. Focus tracking with lock off. My ISO was set for auto and the pictures were great no grain and bright. I used a 24-70 mm 1:2.8 FX lens. Aperture setting with F 7 set. Yes hand held. I think I need to stick with my portriat pictures. Any suggestions for next time?

Thanks in advance,
Nadia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow