Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BruceB609
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
IBIS, D7000 Achilles' Heel
Jan 21, 2012

I added a D7000 to my Olympus E-3 (with built in stabilization) for a low light shoot using standard lenses in NYC a couple of days ago. My objective was to shoot at about 1/4 second to 1/15 second exposures in order to get a pedestrian motion blur effect yet keep static surroundings detailed in a fixed focus as if shot at 1/250. I can't use any tripod or support at this location. A tripods not welcome scenario.

I have the best AIs and AF primes to use and prefer to pass on the additional zoom lens bulk, AF deviations and perspective shifts, let alone the higher end VR lens costs on quality zoom lenses I'd rarely use. The shots were to be used in creating an edited street scene so I needed consistencies that primes usually work well to produce. Nikon knows this very well and I'm sure it's just some of the genius reasoning used in adding the non-CPU settings in the menu... (one reason for buying it).

With all the much appreciated development in the D7000 (why I took it with the primes) including higher ISO, very good DR and low light quality... and on and on, Nikon seems to be overlooking the extra stops a camera body could deliver with ISBN on an APS-C sensor with fast quality primes. Should Nikon reconsider, that's when the D7000 can truly extend claims in low level lighting ability. It's not just ISO!

I knew that this scenario was possible so I'd taken the E-3 body with a lens adapter. At least the trip into the city wasn't totally in vain. Maybe I've discovered an Achilles' Heel... or at least one that's a pain.
--
BruceWB

Nikon D7000 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow