Did the math, the 24-70L is better than me 24-105L for me.

Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
erick4x4
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Did the math, the 24-70L is better than me 24-105L for me.
Jan 20, 2012

Ok so I recently upgraded my 70-200 f4is to the 70-200 2.8 IS ii, and really love it. Realized how much I missed 2.8 in my zoom. Even though I have several fast primes, 2.8 in a zoom is so nice.

So I've long kept the 24-105 instead of the 24-70 because of IS, but I've been doubting that decision.

SO, I opened up lightroom, and used the metadata filters to view the Shutter Speed at all FL for the 24-105 on my "keeper" shots against the Adams rule (1/FL) for shutter speed. I do a lot of landscape, and people shots, so I thought it might be mixed.

I was wrong...for me I only found literally of 1% shots where the shutter speed was slow enough that I probably wouldn't have been able to keep it still without IS. Even less if you count the fact that I probably would have been at 2.8 which would have doubled that anyway.

However about 10% of the shots still had some subject motion blur in them, and it would have probably been fixed with 1 more stop...

So obviously that's still a mistake on my part for not pushing ISO to the point of properly capturing the shot, but the reality is I'm rarely taking advantage of the slow shutter speeds offered with IS in the 24-70 range (on the contrary in the 70-200 range 50-60% of my shots rely on IS in some part).

So for me I realized, 1 stop wins. Sharpness, vignetting, size, build, etc are all comparable with some going to one or the other, but for how I shoot, I have the wrong lens, and have been stubbornly arguing for the wrong lens

So the only concern is the possible looming mk2 coming soon, but in the mean time I think its time to buy a 24-70 used, and sell of the 24-105. They are both awesome, but I blindly picked the one that was the wrong fit for my shooting style.

erick4x4's gear list:erick4x4's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow