G3 experiences as compact travel camera?

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
WhiteBeard
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: G3 experiences as compact travel camera?
In reply to plantdoc, Jan 20, 2012

I have had a G3 with 14-45 (not 14-42) and 45-200 lenses for 6 months now. Very happy with the results so far. Very confortable to hold and lug around (at least compared to my old 35mm SLRs). The extensive list of parameters does take a while getting used to in order to customize to your own preferences. Low-light performance is excellent up to 1600 and very useable at 3200 and even 6400. The viewfinder is a marvel (much better in my view than a lot of SLRs) and the tilt-screen is a must for overhead shots. My only gripes so far: the menu button is too easy to hit by mistake and white balance needs to be ajusted in a lot of artificial light situations.

plantdoc wrote:

I have a variety of cameras including d-slrs and digicams. I am looking for a light weight travel camera with good IQ to ISO 800 or so and while most of my gear is Canon, and the Canon BB is raving about the G1X, I find it lacking. No really good viewfinder and manual zoom lens. Just read about G3 and it seems like a good, compact alternative with lens change ability at a good price. Any experiences or comments?

Thanks,
Greg

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S2 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow