Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hired Goon
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
New lens suggesions for Canon 7D?
Jan 20, 2012

Yet another 'which lens pour moi?' thread.

I have a Canon 7D + Canon 50/1.8 and Canon EF-S 15-85 lenses. I mainly shoot portraits (25% of the time) of the family with the 50 or long end of 15-85, and landscapes (75% of the time) with the wide end of 15-85 (I do live in Utah, after all). I use the 15-85 as my walk-around lens, though sometimes wish for something a bit longer.

Both lenses are okay (although the 50/1.8 does have focus issues) but I'm looking for a really great lens (or lenses) that I will have no regrets buying. Something really sharp with superb image quality.

I'm tempted by current prices of the 70-200/2.8, mainly because I'd like an L lens but I'm thinking it may be too long (unless I also pick up a 24-70 or 24-105 and maybe a EF-S 10-22 or 17-40 L).

In the local classifieds I can see an 85/1.8 and a 10-22 ... both are tempting but again I really want to make sure I have one superb lens (either for portraits or for landscapes) rather than two middling lenses.

I'm interested in dabbling in macro photography, so a lens that can double for macro + portraits may be useful. I may also get a 5D in the future, but for now I'm just looking for lenses that will bring out the best in my 7D.

Budget is up to $2000 - $2500.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hired Goon's gear list:Hired Goon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow