Started Jan 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,329
Like?
Cancelling G1X preorder
Jan 20, 2012

As soon as B&H opens I am going to cancel my preorder for the G1X. I am wondering if anyone else is having second thoughts about preordering.

I always thought the camera was large and heavy for my purposes but wanted the larger sensor badly enough to overlook that. But after thinking about it I have decided to wait until Lightroom supports the camera and I see some reviews of production models. I also want to reconsider whether this camera or one of the mirrorless cameras will be best for me. Canon knows how to make cameras in mass quantities and now that Japan and Thailand have recovered from the natural disasters I doubt the G1X will be in short supply like the Fuji X100 was after it was introduced.

I am a little concerned that Canon might have had to sacrifice some optical quality to fit a 15-60mm lens in a camera this thin. I want a camera that has better dynamic range and color at base ISO than the m43 cameras and while I think Canon will deliver this I want to make sure before I buy. I still plan to buy one but waiting an extra month or two could save me from making a purchase I might regret.

I have seen a lot of speculation about dramatic price cuts in a few months but I am going to be really surprised if the camera drops more than $50 in price for the first few months. The previous G models did not come down that quickly and I doubt the G1X will either.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow