ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tsitalon1
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
Picked up Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS - Test shots
Jan 19, 2012

Hey guys,

I picked up a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 OS to see if it could replace my Tamron 28-75 2.8 non-bim.

I noticed on my tamron that it has the capability of taking very sharp pics, but seems to struggle with quick moving subjects like kids running, riding scooters, basketball.

I know that IQ wise the tamron is better, but I am trying to get a fast focusing lens with decent IQ, and the Sigma may be it.

The sigma definately has more saturation and contrast than my tamron and I can tell the corners are softer. I have't detected anything decentered and I am really unsure how to detect it.

Anyway, I purchased through Adorama, and I am trying to decide if I really want to replace my tamron with this sigma. Tonight I will grab some low light kids basketball pics without flash..probably 1/320 f4 iso 3200-4500, we'll see how it does.

Here are a few pics from preliminary testing indoors:

Sorry I couldn't upload to gallery, these should be iso 400 1/125 at f4

So what do you guys think of this lens? Would you replace the infamous tamron with this lens?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow