Wouldn't 36mp almost require a tripod?

Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: In point of fact
In reply to Luke Kaven, Jan 18, 2012

Luke Kaven wrote:

BTW, Bob did legitimately call you out on an error. [To be fair, in the same posting, you also communicated some very useful information in a patient and thoughtful way.]

The falloff of a lens' MTF is a soft curve. A poor lens can still resolve more detail on a high-resolution camera even when it appears to be limited in use on a low-resolution camera. There is still veridical information in the high-resolution image that can be exploited using any number of techniques, including deconvolution. Even diffraction can be addressed in this way.

My reply was intended more as a practical reply with information that might be useful to the person that I replied to, to help answer his question in a practical manner, not to go into esoteric details that would only muddy the water. It seems to me that bob's initial reply was based partially on the agenda that I've mentioned, and also for him to maintain what he perceives as his alpha dog position in the forum. The post that prompted my response to James was this :

Thanks Marianne for the explanation. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that more photo sensor elements create a greater need for care than one with less for equal end results.

I highly doubt that anything that bob wrote helped James to understand Marianne's comment, even if everything that bob wrote was technically correct. As I said, he only responded because he found a nit that he could pursue, to satisfy his agenda.

For example, even Eric Fossum has been working on image sensors at the "sub-diffraction" level, involving sensels capable of recording at most a single photon.

I have great respect for Eric and Marianne. Ask yourself this. Would either of them have felt it necessary or would either of them have had the desire to post a reply such as bob's? If not, why not? Did you also notice that bob made no attempt to help solve James's puzzle? If bob showed even a fraction of the manners that are routine with Eric and Marianne, this forum would benefit from it, but of course he doesn't and of course he won't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow