Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter speed is your problem...
In reply to TFergus, Jan 17, 2012

TFergus wrote:

Nadia373 wrote:

What should I set it on for most pictures like birthday parties, weddings, etc.?

Based on what we know...
I think weddings should be the last thing on your mind.

It's a fair question.

Here's how I'd do it:

if it's indoors, 99% of the time you will be struggling for light. So, again open up that aperture as wide as you can go while maintaining adequate shutter speeds.

Adequate shutter speeds depends on focal length and subject (are they moving?). But typically keep it faster than 1/100.

ISO, go as high as you need to to get the brightness you need. Eventually you'll know how far is to far when you see too much noise.

Eventually with closer subjects, you may start noticing you're not getting "enough" in focus, since opening up the aperture will decrease your depth of field. If that's the case, you need to stop it down some. This will take practice to know when you need to do that. Just bear in mind that if you stop down the lens, you need to make up for it with upping the ISO, or downing the shutter speed (or turning on some lights or using flash of some sort).

Again, I'd use C-AF single point, and plop that focus point on what you want to be the most in focus (aim for the nearest eye typically).

Basically, this is how I shoot in most situations I'm in. I shoot manual, so I set these and forget unless light changes. But for most people going with A/S/P modes will work ok, but you may get shifting in exposure that you may not want.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Nikon D700, Panasonic L1, Olympus e-510
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow