Started Jan 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,703Gear list
Like?
NEX 5N lowlight shooting tip.
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not sure if anyone has stumbled across this one before but I discovered something very interesting when messing about with the 5n and 18-55mm in my living room this evening. I had left the camera in jpeg (fine) and HDR auto mode and wondered how much the camera dealt with ghosting when creating the final image using HDR. Although HHT mode can be useful the IQ can definitely be variable as the camera tends to pick ISO 6400 so you lose detail.

With this in mind I tried a few shots at ISO 100 with very low shutter speeds (and I mean low) in HDR auto mode. I managed to obtain perfectly sharp images at 0.5 second at the wide end and 1/13 second at 55mm no problem. This would indicate that the camera does indeed do a very good job at aligning the three exposures in HDR mode. It also means that you can shoot handheld in very low light and keep the ISO very low for static subjects. These results are even better than I can get using IBIS on an Olympus Pen, quite a bit better in fact. The only downside is that you have to shoot jpegs but I can live with that for this kind of functionality. Nice one Sony!
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow