Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 794Gear list
Like?
Theory for OM-D - the mirror is back!
Jan 16, 2012

I was thinking that based on the bits of rumors, it almost seems that Olympus is considering a way to bring a mechanical visual viewfinder back into micro 4/3. While Fuji's X1 Pro's viewfinder is interesting, it's not really all that more beneficial compared to a straight out evf. (I could see that the only benefit would be if you set focus on all points, and used the visual vf to capture action, where you don't want the electronic delay).

So the proper solution would indeed be a way to visually see through the lens, which would mean bringing the mirror back. And with the very short lens to sensor distance on a micro 4/3, I was thinking of a solution where the sensor would be moved or tilted out of the way. If you tilted the sensor back maybe 30 deg., you would have room to flip a mirror down. When the mirror flips up, the sensor would be brought back vertical for the exposure. Live view (rear LCD) would leave the mirror up of course. Oh - and of course this solution would allow the traditional pdaf focusing, providing fast focusing with all traditional 4/3 lenses.

Although this complexity would run counter to the micro 4/3 mantra, I for one would love to have a visual through the lens viewfinder, even if it's only the size of the e-620.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Leica X1 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow