Nikkor 24mm f1.4 versus Nikkor 24mm f2.8

Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
MasterOfGoingFaster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikkor 24mm f1.4 versus Nikkor 24mm f2.8
In reply to mbecke, Jan 16, 2012

mbecke wrote:

It is not that they are bad; in fact, they are very good lenses. It is just that they are generally not worth, in my opinion, the increased cost over the f1.8 or f2.8 prime lenses of the same focal length.

I view this from a different prospective.

If you compare the prices of Nikon's 1.4 primes, compared to Canon, Zeiss and Leica (which is not unreasonable in my mind) lenses, they are not out of line price-wise. They are all expensive, so I can't blame Nikon for asking a price that the market is willing to pay for. But Nikon seems to be willing to take the risk of having a bargain-priced f/1.8 lineup with amazing quality that the others don't. While they risk losing 1.4 sales to their own 1.8 models, they also stand the chance of gaining more customers seeking a small, affordable prime kit.

You DX guys are really lucky - you have a lot of great options. We FX guys have quite a lens gap.

What I really wish Nikon had put ring-style AF-S motors (like the 24-70) in the primes. But I'm sure Nikon had to make some engineering trade offs and speed vs. accuracy might have been one of them.

-- hide signature --

Ken Elliott
Equipment in profile.

MasterOfGoingFaster's gear list:MasterOfGoingFaster's gear list
Nikon D700
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow