Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,043Gear list
Like?
Ultrathin DOF at 21mm FOV: Bokehrama
Jan 16, 2012

I recently came across some images shot using the Brenizer Method, named for the wedding photographer Ryan Brenizer who turned this into his trademark. It's also often called Bokehrama, which is short for Bokeh panorama. That term nicely describes what the technique consists of: stitching images with short DOF (=lots of bokeh) into a much larger image with a much wider FOV than the portrait lens used permits.

I'll let you Google to find out the details. I personally used my DA21/3.2 limited for some test shots and then selected the ones I liked best (not an easy job in the field, since it mostly takes the distance of a few days at least for me to decide which picture I like best). On the position that best liked image was taken at, I installed my tripod with NodalNinja 3 panorama head, mounted the K-5 with my FA77/1.8 limited at f/1.8, carefully manually focused on the subject (using zoomed in Liveview) and shot a series of shots covering the entire FOV (or slightly wider) of the 21mm test image.

The images were stitched using PTGui Pro after I synched the white balance and applied lens corrections in Lightroom. Only the mostly OOF images were a problem to match up automatically, but my adding a few manual control points enabled PTGui to finish the job very nicely.

These are my first efforts using the technique. For subjects I selected the very patient inhabitants of the Middelheim outdoor sculpture museum located near to where I live in Antwerp, Belgium. This location has the advantage that I know it well which made it easier for me to find subjects I thought would benefit from being photographed as a bokehrama.

Enough talk, here's some results:

Finally to give an idea how little DOF can be achieved with the DA21/3.2 wide open, and as such how useful the technique is, here's the first image's initial test shot with the DA21/3.2:

Hope you find this interesting!

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow