Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vw671
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
So Many slow autofocus threads...
Jan 16, 2012

All the "slow autofocus" threads here made me second guess my purchase of the Nex-5n.

Well after two days of learning the camera I can personally say that AF speed is NOT an issue for me. I'm a total noob so if I can figure it out anyone can:)

Here is what helped me:

1. Turn off multi-point focus!!!! This is the number one thing you have to do. It's not that the camera is too slow it just can't consistently figure out what the subject really is. Use spot focusing with object tracking DISABLED.

2. Use either shutter priority mode or manual mode with a decent shutter speed. If you are shooting auto or program auto it sometimes pics a slow shutter speed, blurring the moving subject you are trying to shoot. To the best of my knowledge the camera doesn't have a "subject in motion" sensor... joke.

3. Use the largest aperture you can...The bigger the DOF the luckier you will get. Luckily the Nex-5n's low ISO-noise allows you to use much more aperture then you could normally use.

Having done these three things and can shoot my 2-year old no problem:D

vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow