Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ameer
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
AEL/AFL Lock - Its use on PEN E-P2/3
Jan 16, 2012

There have been much discussion on this subject. I have been happily using the AEL/AFL button on my E-P2. I have now obtained an E-P3. I have not yet used the AEL/AFL on it yet. But I think what worked on the E-P2 will also work on the E-P3.

I quote below my old notes. Perhaps some owners of the E-P2 and 3 may find the notes useful:

AEL/AFL Customization - (Auto Exposure Lock / Auto Focus Lock): p82, 88, 89

Quick Focus Setup - AEL/AFL Customization:

Normally shutter button focuses and locks it, calculates exposure and locks it and then takes the picture. You can transfer the focusing function to AEL/AFL button. Once configured -

• When you fire away with the shutter button, → it changes exposure as needed.

• As the camera is not constantly refocusing with every shot, there is no shutter lag.

• To configure AEL/AFL button to lock S-AF (single auto focus): Menu > gear > ‘B’ Button/Dial - AEL/AFL > S-AF > select mode 3 – OK - done.

To use: aim at subject - press AEL/AFL button – focus locked – take your thumb off AEL/AFL – recompose, if you want, within focus range – shoot - exposure locked and picture taken - can shoot multiple times if subject stays at same distance, or within acceptable depth of filed (DOF). •• → If subject moves outside DOF, press AEL/AFL button again to refocus and lock.

• Tips: Stop down aperture to say f/8 for a wide depth of field - just press once AEL/AFL button to focus - can take pictures all day at that focus range very quickly.

•• Caution: If you change focused area (e.g. outdoor to indoor), make sure you press AEL/AFL again to refocus – if you forget to do so (say, the next day), shutter button will not focus and your pictures will be out of focus.

Tip: → If you hand your camera to another person to take your picture, turn Dial to iAuto – focus will go back to shutter button – when you turn Dial back to PASM, focus goes back to AFL button.

ameer

Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow