Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
alan54g
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700
In reply to Nadia373, Jan 16, 2012

First off clean off that dusk on the 70-200 and start using it or sell it. When you shoot sports you are going for something in the middle of the frame so don't worry about that beautiful lens you have! I'm actually shocked that you didn't get much with the 24-70 considering that you were shooting full frame. I understand that you made the mistake of shooting at 30th of a sec.

I shot hockey for years in dark arenas where even 6400 iso wouldn't do much so hats off to everyone that has that luxury now with D700's and D3's. I shot my hockey on manual settings at 250th of a sec with 400 iso and when I was lucky I could shoot 200 iso in the real good lighted arenas. Oh I also shot with flash with a 4 second recycle time so 1 shot at a time. You had to make them count. Before Christmas I shot hockey for someone and I was using 70-200 vr II with DX camera body and the shutter speed was 160th to 250th. If I nailed the shot it was sharp and frozen. Hockey is shot with anything from 24-70 to 600mm lenses so take your pick. I noticed one comment about pee wee vs the men. The speed of the game does not change your shutter speed. But the better the skill level the easier it is to shoot and get good shots. They skate with their heads up.
You must practice shooting action if you want to excel at sports.

alan54g's gear list:alan54g's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow