Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Senior MemberPosts: 1,909
Like?
Seriously?
In reply to Nadia373, Jan 15, 2012

Nadia373 wrote:

Thank you all for your help. My shutter speed was set on 1/30 and F stop at 7.1. Also, I had 51 auto points in dynamic. Honestly, I did not think of my shutter speed and setting my AV setting to 2.8 instead of 7.1. So what should my shutter speed be? I will do as suggested and go to other games to practice, now I understand why sport shooting is so hard; I will stick to posed pictures. Yes my lens is probably not for sports, I do have a 70-200 VR, the old model, not for full frame. I was told there is too much distortion.

I don't want to be rude, but I am totally dumbfounded that someone that owns a D700, professional glass like a 24-70 2.8 and from what you are describing an 80-200 2.8 (which by the way is for full frame!) doesn't even understand the basics? I cannot understand why you where shooting at f/7.1 when you where only getting 1/30? 1/30 wouldn't freeze a person walking slowly let alone a hockey player? Obviously you do not understand exposure. Distortion? Forget about it, you are way off track with this; this is totally irrelevant for you (besides the 80-200 is fine - you wouldn't even notice distortion). Get a book or read more on the net about how ISO, shutter speed and aperture interelate to give exposure, then read up on specifically sports shooting.
Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow