7yr Old iMac to $1200 iMac 21.5" Good Enough?

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
smallcams
Senior MemberPosts: 3,297
Like?
7yr Old iMac to $1200 iMac 21.5" Good Enough?
Jan 15, 2012

I have an older iMac and Macbook Pro, both about 7 years old. The iMac is acting up and I'm left doing most of my photo work on the 17" 2.16 GHz MBPro.

I'm looking at the subject $1200 entry level iMac for all my photo needs. The new machine would be running the new LR4 to edit/manage Nikon V1 RAW files, backing them up to an external drive. I don't plan on using Photoshop or other 3rd party software, but I would like to be able to do something with Nikon .MOV movie files, too. Only other thing I do is routine web browsing.

I suspect I'd see a big LR performance increase compare to what I'm using now?

For what I do is:

• 2.7GHz worth the extra $300 when compared to 2.5GHz?

• standard 4GB RAM good enough?

Also, does the machine come loaded with any means to calibrate for a decent monitor color profile? If not, what are people using these days to create a monitor profile? I'd say I don't need absolute precision for a color profile, so something that's EASY would be appreciated.

Finally, considering where I'm coming from with the 7 year-old technology, is there anything I need to look out for in a new machine that might surprise me in a bad way?

Thanks.

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow