Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?
Re: Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700
In reply to Nadia373, Jan 15, 2012

Nadia373 wrote:

... continous focus ... dynamic auto area AF and 51 points; I read that I should use less focus points. My camera is set on AF-S for focus priority and AF-C release and focus. Focus tracking with lock off. My ISO was set for auto and the pictures were great no grain and bright.

All of the above are on the right track with the exception that 9-point (or maybe 21-point at most) are preferred.

You messed up in a couple ways here:

• f7 no, you should have been shooting at f2.8 to provide as fast a shutter speed as possible.

• 24-70 is a poor lens choice. 70-200 is much better (or a 70-300 if you have one). I am willing to bet your shots are way to wide. And then cropping them heavily in post is not going to help (cropping is not free and degrades sharpness quite drastically )

• you don't mention what minimum shutter speed you set with Auto-ISO nor maximum ISO. I'd think your images are far more likely blurred due to too slow a shutter speed used (and therefore the problem may be nothing to do with autofocus). You should set 1/500, 1/750 or faster minimum shutter speed and max auto-iso of 3200 or 6400 next time.

That and the other advice in this thread should help you a lot next time!

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow