Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gadgets
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
G1X auto ISO = max 1600
Jan 15, 2012

I have not seen auto-ISO discussed yet for the G1X and am wondering if this is an issue or not. I have no experience with Canon G series and I have no experience with large sensor cameras.

Per dpreview: "Auto ISO - the high ISO limit in Auto can be customized, but unfortunately the highest available option is ISO 1600. This is slightly disappointing, as it means you can't set the camera to Auto ISO and still get the full benefit of that large sensor. On the positive side, though, you have a choice of three Auto ISO program lines, biasing towards either lower ISOs and slower shutter speeds for static subjects, or higher ISOs and faster shutter speeds when subject movement is anticipated. "

So does this max auto value of 1600 apply to all modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, etc)? Doesn't this negate the purpose of having the larger sensor? I am guessing this setting is the same as G12 but don't know why Canon would choose to keep it the same.

Similarly, is the only way to shoot higher than ISO 1600 to manually set? Are there technical reasons why Canon limits the user to 1600?

Just seems counter-productive to me. Given the sensor I figured I'd want to shoot in A(Av) or S(Tv) and not have to worry about ISO .

Or is this not a big deal, and how you enthusiasts normally go about business with your SLRs?

Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow