tips on speeding up LR3?

Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?
Re: tips on speeding up LR3?
In reply to jwvgoethe, Jan 14, 2012

jwvgoethe wrote:

no. I definately have 1:1 preview generated for the image. My problem is in the develop module and sluggishness there in further editing a heavily edited image.

One thing that may help you, is if you have a large number of (for example) clone or heal spots active, and they are slowing down the responsiveness of the other adjustments, you can temporarily disable them all using the toggle switch at the left side of the clone/heal panel. This will prevent them needing to be re-calculated and re-displayed every time Develop needs to update its preview. Same for local adjustment brushes (say, if you want to work on something else such as sharpening, or your crop, or whatever). This would just be a temporary workaround, as needed.

The main problem will remain, though. LR is excellent up to a certain point - what I describe as adjusting, without altering, the image - but if requirements go beyond that, at some point it does make more sense to push the image to a bitmap image editor. Especially if there's significant amounts of cloning or healing required. LR is not going to perform so well with dozens of live, parametric spot fixes all over the frame, on top of all the other things it is doing on-the-fly. Just too computation intensive, AFAICT.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow