D5100 end of life - New D7100 replacment for D90 ?

Started Jan 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Slyck
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
D5100 end of life - New D7100 replacment for D90 ?
Jan 14, 2012

Was in a local retail store today in Vancouver, Canada and noticed that the D5100 was on clearance. Asked about the D90, and when it might go on clearance as I'm more interested in its interface and don't want to spend the $$ for a D7000 etc.

Was told that the D5100 is being discontinued because of slow sales and will be replaced this Spring with a new model, possibly the D7100, which will be the supposed replacement for the D90, although the D90 will still be sold alongside of it for a while longer as the price points will be different enough, and therefore would not be put on clearance for a while longer.

No definite date was known for the new model, nor had the new body been seen, so no info on whether the interface would be a continuation of the D5100 or D90, or something else. Was told that the processor would be the same as that of the D7000. This is the second rep I've talked to at this chain of stores which has told me to expect a replacement for the D90, and that the D7000 was not it, although the first time I heard it was back in October and I wasn't sure how much faith to put in the info. This rep today did also say that the D7000 would remain the camera to get in that range though and that the newer model would not be knocking it from its perch, leaving me to wonder how the newer model will be crippled to not put D7000 sales at risk. I hope it isn't the interface, but with the D90 expected to remain a while longer and the D5100 the one being replaced it seems the most likely way to hobble it.

So, it seems the rumours of a new Nikon D7100 model do have some veracity after all. The question becomes when exactly it will be released and what interface it will have, and of course the finer details of features, etc.

Slyck

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow