Camera for Appalachian Trail Hike

Started Jan 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
dexter-g
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
i vote G1X for Appalachian Trail Hike
In reply to Tom Hodge, Jan 14, 2012

hi tom

sound's like a very nice hike your going on, i don't know when your leaving or what your budget is for new camera. but if you can wait for the new canon G1X to buy then i think it will make the perfect hiking camera.

here's my reasons' why

Image quality

(maybe as good as a DLSR ) & with a host of handy features http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canong1x/page2.asp

that includes nd filter, fish eye, & 4stop IBIS, what will make a diffrence in getting more keepers, when taking shot's walking or when if it's windy. plus you can leave your tripod at home mean's less weight.

Single lens (yes handy ) 5.1 - 60.4 mm (35mm equivalent: 28-112mm)
• 4x optical zoom
• F2.8-5.8

Weight (good) 534g (with battery and card)

making it a good choice were carrying weight is a concern. it's all to easy to get carried away on a trip like your's and take too much with you & that includes the kitchen sink so i think G1X is best for weight.

Small package (yes very small) making it easy to keep round your neck & if the weather get's bad with rain just zip up your, jacket to keep it dry making it handy to use and keep dry.

Battery life (not so good) Rechargeable Li-ion Battery NB-10L
• Approx. 250 shots
• Approx. 420 min. playback

but if you can buy 1 or 2 spare should last you, 4day's but 6day's am not so sure about that, this is were GX1 might let you down . but i know you can get solar powered chargers' that might help. i have seen guy's use them on the hill's of scotland were the sun shines for 2minutes at day

Battery charger weight if not AA batteries
(not sure of the weight)
AC Adatper Kit ACK-DC80, Battery Charger CB-2LC

as you can see the G1X tick's a few of your boxes but not them all but is worth thinking about for it's size & weight & handy feature's

anyways i hope you enjoy your hike

all the best
regard's
dexter-g

dexter-g's gear list:dexter-g's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P6000 Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300S Olympus PEN E-PL1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LX3New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow