Started Jan 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gene L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?
AfterShot Pro early observations
Jan 14, 2012

I downloaded AfterShot and gave it a try. Here are my initial impressions.

1. I like the interface. It is quite similar in some ways to Bibble, but seems just a bit better thought out. Some of the redundancy is removed and things are moved around just enough to make a subtle difference.

2. Start up is faster.

3. Processing is faster. It seems like they did some optimization that makes a significant difference. Scanning, building previews, and raw processing are all faster (especially preview building). So far I have not seen the "Not Responding" message that happens all too often with B5. Things just seem to run smoother compared to B5.

4. Image quality seems on par, perhaps a bit more fine detail, but probably that is just a difference in sharpening or interpolation, or antialiasing. There could be a cost in terms of high frequency noise or gradations. That remains to be seen with much more experience over time. comparing two files tweaked to similar color, levels, and contrast, the differences are subtle. Noise reduction seems a tad more aggressive, but also doing a better job without obvious more destructive (you have to look hard for it). Tweaking settings would take care of that.

5. Colors are marginal. As others have reported, I too seem to be getting too much red. It is measurable compared to processing from B5 using the same settings. Aside from that they seem okay. Hopefully Corel will do some fine tuning on the color profiles.

6. I did note an odd behavior with the layers brush where adding additional strokes causes a streak from the previous position to the new position. This was present on earlier versions of B5, so hopefully it will be fixed AS too in a future upgrade.

7. Bibble 5 settings files can be transferred to AfterShot (manually with a file browser). I am getting very similar results, so am happy about that, as my HDR workflow depends on some custom settings.

8. Batch files do not appear to be transferable from B5 to AS. I put mine into the appropriate AS folder and it did not read them (or at least they did not show up in the batch window).

Overall I am well pleased with the "upgrade" except for the poor color rendering. If they fix that, then I think they will have a winner. I will be taking them up on the inexpensive offer to jump over from B5.

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow