Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
UnChatNoir
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
D90 is it still a good camera
Jan 13, 2012

I'm a serious amateur, 35 years busy with photograpy and always looking at the final results, not so much at the megapixels and spec-story. I've been working with different camera brands & types though I was a lot in favor of Nikon. And I was extremely loving my D70. So as a logical upgrade, I bought the D90 back in 2009. In most review this camera was honored with excellent comments, only... to me it did never really appeal. Somewhere my good confidence was always missing. With quite a few lenses I discovered this camera to be extremely sensitive to flairs when sunlight or point lights are close. In a lot of cases you only see them on the final pictures. Certainly the 18-200VR disappointed me a lot (not only for the flair problem) but also experience that recent lenses like 35mm f1.8 are in fact crap due to chromatic aberration. I do not get excited at all about the D90's standard color settings though this is something you can adjust via RAW. Last but not least with the standard Nikon sharpness setting it remains for me beyond every appreciation. The are very likely very cheap camera's that perform better. Some people are complaining about f.i. the Fuji X100 menu system (which I also own) but Nikon's menu system was also conceived on a lazy sunday afternoon. Now I've come to the point I do not want to continue with it anymore. Being also in with serious video, I tried the movie features a few times, but even a 100$ camera is doing a lot better also back in 2008. Again reviews have mislead me a lot in this respect. I'm seriously thinking of kicking out Nikon now - too much hassle and a lot of flaws - and going for the competition. Is anyone having the same feeling? Did the D90 please you or not?

UnChatNoir's gear list:UnChatNoir's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow