What should White Balance for this be?

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
CarlosNunezUSA
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Re: What should White Balance for this be?
In reply to kay4401, Jan 13, 2012

kay4401 wrote:

Posted in a Canon forum first as this photo was taken with a Canon point-and-shoot in 2006, but I have been using Nikon DSLRs since later that year, a D50 and now a D7000... feels like this is my "home" forum. Question is... what would be best white balance for this photo? At the time, it was in auto white balance setting, but I wonder if it should have been tungsten for the exterior lights or something else. Opinions? Advice?

I think all depends on your "vision".

If you want a realistic WB then it's easy to adjust with Photoshop or Lightroom.

Colder WB = Blue
Warmer WB = Yellow

If you want to express that the weather is really cold, I would make it a little blu-ish (less than what you have and more than white) and if you want to express that it's cold but a 'warmer' environment (like in a christmas night for example) you can make it yellow-ish.

On this picture, for example, I wanted a colder look so I set the tone to light purple and it works for me.

http://www.charlysworld.com/Home.aspx?c=The%20Way%20I%20See%20It&p=23

Happy Shooting!

CarlosNunezUSA's gear list:CarlosNunezUSA's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow