1-8-2012 Weekly landscape show and tell.

Started Jan 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,227Gear list
Like?
Re: Alpenglow (An ongoing project)
In reply to PowderMaggot, Jan 13, 2012

This is a great project and the sort of thing I also do in my home area. The great advantage to doing an area you can reach in a hour or two is that you can take more images, find better locations and time the season/light better than with the great scenic icons.

This is a great start and has much to commend it. I look forward to more in this series.

PowderMaggot wrote:

Here in northern New Mexico, we get to see a lot of alpenglow. I figured it's about time to try and capture this. Like many things, it's not so easy. But here's a first attempt (very humble next to that beautiful wintry mountain further up the thread). A couple of random tripod issues robbed me of some sharpness. The sky is a little muddy, and the foreground is not particularly interesting - I'm searching for better viewpoints.

This image was taken eight minutes after sunset. Sangre de Cristo mountains: Santa Fe Baldy on the left, and Lake Peak on the right (next to the Santa Fe Ski Basin). Camera is at 6,300 feet. Lake Peak is 23 miles away and 12,400 feet. Out in the alpenglow, the minimum viewable elevation is about 7,400 feet below the ski area at about 16 miles out from the camera, with slightly lower elevation to looker's left. Sunset itself was mostly cloudy, although the sky remained mostly clear to the east. On a scale of zero to brightest alpenglow in the region, this is probably somewhat less than medium, and without the beautiful wine color that the mountains often receive. The hunt continues...

-- hide signature --

When you can't focus, nothing else matters
Once you can, everything else does.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AndyNew
MikeNew
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow