First DSLR

Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
sleibson
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
Re: First DSLR
In reply to garner89, Jan 13, 2012

As the previous posters explained, crop bodies like the 60D and 7D make wide lenses less wide. Where a "normal" lens on a 35mm film camera has a 50mm focal length, the same view on a crop body comes from a 30mm or 35mm lens. However, I'd be hard pressed to call a 24mm or 28mm lens a "short tele" on a crop body.

The advantages of a crop body DSLR are:

1. They're cheaper (by a lot)
2. They get more oomph from a tele lens

That said, Canon now sells crop-body DSLRs with kit zoom lenses that have 15mm, 17mm, or 18mm focal lengths at their widest settings, so you can get wide-angle shots with crop bodies.

So much for the technical stuff. My advice is always to go pick up the cameras and find the one you're most comfortable with. That's the one you will shoot the most photos with. For me, the button pads on the digital Rebels are not as comfortable as the dials on the 60D and up. My first Canon DSLR was a 20D. The controls just fell into my hands. I knew I'd be shooting pictures with that camera. It just worked for me. I think that's what you should look for as well.

-- hide signature --

Steve Leibson

Shooting with Canons for 35+ years

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow